Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What to do with soon-expired rolled oats? Homemade Granola Bars!

I recently had some rolled oats that were going to expire and had to use it real fast.

I decided that I could make some homemade muesli bars that could be taken for breakfast.

So I searched the internet for great and easy muesli recipes and found this. A really simple recipe.

You can view the youtube video here.



But I had some ingredients (butter, brown sugar and chocolate chips) that I didn't have and I modified my recipe.



  • 2 1/2 cups (230 grams) old fashioned rolled oats


  • 1/2 cup (80 grams) whole almonds, coarsely chopped


  • 1/3 cup (113 grams) honey


  • 1/4 cup canola oil


  • 1/4 cup (50 grams) packed white sugar


  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt


  • 1/2 cup (60 grams) dried cranberries, coarsely chopped



  • I followed the methods given and tightly pack the mixture together. 
    it looks perfect~ A mega huge muesli bar waiting to be chopped.



    After 2 hours of refrigeration, the mega bar was chopped and it looked pretty decent and looked store bought.




    But tasting it was the best experience ever............

    Because I substituted the butter for canola oil, the canola oil taste was soooo over powering! It was YUCKY! The taste comes to my mind as I am writing this =X

    But the areas that I did not mix well- meaning the parts with little oil was yummy!!!
    I really should have used butter instead of the convenient oil substitute =x (use a 1/4 cup butter if you are going to use the above recipe)

    So the bottomline is, don't be a lazy bum and not use butter if you don't have it at home. Don't even make it if you don't have butter. Go out and buy one before you make your own homemade muesli's. Nonetheless it was a good experience. We were born to make mistakes so that we learn from it. =D

    I will try it again soon and post my updates.

    Thank for reading!

    3 comments: